Friday, July 31, 2009

My Current Favorites













So on the off chance that there are actually people following this blog, I've decided to post a playlist jam packed with some of my favorite bands (or at least my favorites bands at the current moment in time). I figure if you're going to be taking music advice from me that you're probably going to want a feel for the kinds of bands I enjoy. Feel free to judge me based on my musical tastes if you want (I know that's the first thing I do whenever I get a hold of someones iPod). However, since I'm bored and unemployed, I may feel compelled to actually respond to comments (as i do enjoy trying to defend my musical tastes). So here you go... Enjoy

... MLG Current Fav's
1 - John Reuben - Do Not [Liquid Beats Smoothed Out Remix]
2 - Bord Ruffians - I Need A Life
3 - The Weakerthans - Over Retired Explorer
4 - Matt Pond PA - Honestly
5 - Matt Costa - TV Gods
6 - Chumbawamba - Add Me
7 - Bellowhead - Whiskey Is The Life Of Man
8 - Jason Mraz - Coyotes
9 - Elliott Brood - The Valley Town
10 - Nizlopi - ExtraOrdinary
11 - Ingrid Michaelson - Charlie
12 - Final Fantasy - This is The Dream of Win and Regine
13 - Mark Berube - Pretty Little Bird
14 - Rock Plaza Central - (The World Is) Good Enough
15 - Medeski, Martin and Wood - Where's Sly?

Download the Playlist ---> Mediafire

11 comments:

  1. This is a very cool idea. Keep up the posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is cool, i'll follow. i'll check the bands out at some point too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You realize that the link to mediafire up there lets you download all the songs in the playlist, right? or did you mean check them out further than just what I have posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey there. thought i would lend a euro perspective to aid in your quest...
    over here in denmark we listen to a lot of swedish stuff (and not all christian, ehm...) - a current favorite is a band called fever ray, which is a solo project formed by the lead singer of another band called the knife - both are awesome. here are a few links to some gems you might like.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VJvZ0hXwAk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW972em87MU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WhQ5TiBHVk

    we are also doing a lot of empire of the sun this summer - dont know if youve heard of them wherever you are. here are a few links...but the first video is super weird, so consider yourself warned!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YN2lsrWN34
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDOIi27AgFk

    finally - denmark is nothing without its love for electronic, which kills me sometimes because i am a hiphop girl for life. but here is a good one, and if it doesnt make you dance, you might be dead :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za-cX9-iF78

    hope things are good - reb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, thanks for the recommendations. I actually have two Knife albums on my computer at the current moment in time (Deep Cuts and Silent Shout) but I never knew they had a side project... I may have to check that out. I really liked the EOTS music video you sent (I love weird crap, but if you think that's a weird music video you should check out this one which it kind of reminded me of (which is called Knife coincidentally enough):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuYZbYtAl9A )
    And finally that last band (perhaps because I enjoy the original of that song so much) just wasn't doing it for me, It was OK but nothing spectacular in my mind. But it certainly does have that "make ya wanna move" quality to it. Also, if you are a fan of The Knife you should check out Shiny Toy Guns, I think you'd enjoy them based on these recommendations, here's one of my current favs of theirs:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9OSXsB946k

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another thing, you need not worry about whether or not the bands you recommend to me are Christian I'm pretty sure well over 2/3 of the bands I plan to recommend to people are in no way considered Christian artists (In fact I don't think I'd go as far as to say half this specific playlist contains Christian Artists... Maybe a third if that).

    ReplyDelete
  7. i...was definitely making a joke about the christian music thing, hah. i havent really listened to christian stuff since the weekend at a wedding...and i dont really have tons on my itunes beyond some really awesome worship stuff. i just felt like i had been in that chat room all day and...it was on the brain. shiny toy guns was fun - very cool cover.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think it's a cover, I think it just has the same name as that bowie song... But the lyrics are definitely different (unless there's another Major Tom song I'm unaware of out there.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your list is very interesting! I have to admit I've never heard of most of the singers/bands, but you inspire me to check them out.

    Takat
    Writing away about my latest 3 week adventure through China at http://katacomb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to say that I haven't heard of like 90% of the bands you mentioned. I'll have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete